Friday, June 15, 2007

Back to My Roots


We enjoyed a handful of some pretty, crunchy radish a little while ago. But true to my gardening traditions, I started my usual harvest last Sunday of itsy-bitsy carrots, small and terribly tough radishes. The carrots were full of flavor, even though the size of toothpicks. The radish were so bad we spit them in the garbage can.

It’s still fun to see them in the ground, pull them up, pose them. And somehow by next winter, I will forget what a total disappointment these really are in terms of edible vegetable gardening, and I will probably plant similar things again. Maybe I’ll try something different. Hopefully, someone will remind me that I just can’t grow a typical carrot or radish (aside from a handful). Or even the kind that are supposed to be smaller. I really need to research this. Aren’t these things supposed to be the most basic, easiest vegetables to grow?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was sorry to hear about the less than satisfactory harvest.